Summer decorating is a wonderful time to lighten up the colors and fabrics in your home. While you may not be able to decorate every room, there are numerous ways to add summer flair. You can decorate with a summer theme such as fruit (apples, strawberries, grapes), flowers (roses, carnations, daisies), or seaside nautical in addition to following some of the ideas listed below.
1. Replace heavy drapery with light sheers. The sheers provide an airy appeal while letting in the sunshine. If removing your existing drapery is not an option, consider changing just the valance and tiebacks to a lighter color. Another option is to use grapevine wreaths, strands of beads, artificial flowers, or decorative ribbons as your tiebacks or swag holders.
2. Store away items that are not useful in the summer such as blankets, throws, and heavy quilts.
3. Lighten up the color of your sofa by placing a slipcover on it or replacing your dark colored pillows with lighter colors.
4. Place light colored slipcovers on your all-wood dining room or kitchen chairs.
5. To add a lighter summer touch to your dark wood tables, use white lace or doilies as runners or tablecloths.
6. If you have a heavy bedspread, considering replacing it with a lightweight linen blanket.
7. Bring in the outdoors by adding fresh flowers in vases or baskets to counters, tabletops, and nightstands.
8. Add summer accessories around your home such as birdhouses, sea shells, bowls of fruits or vegetables, and summer reading materials.
9. If you have dark lampshades, replace them with lighter ones.
10. Repaint a dark hallway in your favorite hue such as buttery yellow, a creamy tan, or a fresh apple green.
11. Display a grouping of floral plates on a wall, hutch, or fireplace mantle.
12. Clean out the ashes in your fireplace and fill the firebox with a large artificial fern or a basket of colorful flowers.
13. Place twigs in tall vases and set on each side of the fireplace mantle.
14. To add summer whimsy to your bathrooms, hang lightweight fabric shower curtains printed with ladybugs, bees, flowers, or palm trees. Display matching hand towels and rugs to continue the summer theme.
15. Change the layout of your furniture to give your rooms a fresh, new look.